Tuesday, July 20, 2010

ChessJam - Online Chess with an Attitude

This is one chess site that I found through an ad in Facebook. It features itself as online chess with an attitude. How's that I don't know. Why? Because they require you to download a program through which you can play the game, and I haven't done so, so far. If there is one factor that would significantly limit the popularity of this site, it would be the need to download something. Not only are people nowadays wary of downloading stuff, it also limits the opportunities one has to access the game. It may not always be possible to download the program whenever one has access to the Internet, as in the case when you are using a computer at work where such download (and install) activity is not allowed. Same case when accessing the Internet from public computers, such as internet cafes or a library.


It was also indicated in the website that they are now integrated with Facebook. However, I think it still require downloading and installing the program first, as described above.

But i just might give this site a try some time. If you, however, have been playing chess in ChessJam, do let us know and give some feedback.

4 comments:

Greg Wilson said...

Thanks for the post. I am one of the creators of ChessJam. About 400 people per day install it so it's totally safe.

However, I do agree with you that many people are hesitant to install any sort of software, so we are working on a web version of ChessJam that can be also played within Facebook itself. It will be a few weeks, but work is already in progress.

Go ahead and install and let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Greg Wilson

toguints said...

Hi Greg,

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad that you are currently working on a web version. Just to clarify, my concern is less of the program being malicious, but more of being limited in accessing it since I use different computers when I'm at different locations (principally work and home, but I can be mobile at times also). But hey, I would definitely consider playing ChessJam one of these days (weekend is fast approaching anyway)

Tyrone Ferrara said...

I hope your not finished blogging, keep up the good work. BK

toguints said...

Thanks for the encouragement BK. As much as I desire to regularly post in this blog, I also have to consider the quality of what I will be posting. I see no need to take people's time and read something that was half-heartedly made. In the end, it will be me and this blog that would suffer for loss of trust. And yet, I am inspired by comments like yours. I will try my best to get some activity going on in here.

p.s. you may also want to add yourself to the list of Followers on the sidebar, so it can get some momentum going.

thanks