Friday, July 14, 2006

ICCF 2nd Webchess Open Tournament - updates and more

A couple of posts ago, I mentioned my involvement in ICCF's 2nd Webchess Open Tournament, and I promised to give some updates.

I was included in group 38, which has seven players including myself. Total number of games to be played is 6. Time control is 10 moves in 50 days (about 5 days per move). Three of my opponents are provisional rated like myself at 1800 and the other three are ranked 2000+.
So far I have lost four games and I am resigned to the thought that I would also lose the remaining two in due time, not to mention the two unrated games I was entitled to play when I registered.

The features of the site has its good and bad points, but sadly the bad outweighs the good ones I experienced. For one, moves are confirmed before it becomes final. It gives one the opportunity to double check if the move made is indeed the intended move. The board size is of an acceptable size. And there are the usual "private notes" and "message to opponent" options.
But there are certain things that should be there but isn't. For one, captured pieces are not displayed in the screen. In effect, it forces one to re-assess the entire game again to an elaborate extent that would have been easier if only the captured pieces were shown. Not to mention the mental effect, at least on me, of the frustration everytime I prepare to approach my game, knowing that other sites show captured pieces as a default and that even OTB games have it.

Another drawback to the site is the difficulty of reviewing your game. In most other cc sites, the moves made are clickable and replayable from the start. Not so at the ICCF website. Though the previous moves were displayed, you can't click on them. You have to set the board manually with a chess set if you want to do it. Such a hassle.

Such is the limitation of the site that from the get-go, I wasn't in anyway synced to it. I would get an email that my opponent made a move, I will log-in, view the board with all the limitations of half knowing which pieces are already off the board. Add to the fact that my opponent is probably using an engine and given my predisposition not to use one considering how unpalatable the playing area is, and you could almost predict my demise at the very start. I was actually playing a game with myself, psyching myself up that with all my recklessness I may even come out the winner of this group. But as expected, reality has a way of creeping up on some, but this time it was running all over me as my game results dismally showed. Even tools such as the "private note" option lost its usefulness, since I am no longer inclined to use it, owing to the general game atmosphere I was experiencing with the site.

I guess I could still be thankful for the fact that I didn't shell out any money to get into the tournament, since its on the house as my first tournament. To think that the cost of that tournament is already a half year's worth of subscription to a much more user-friendly and feature-filled site, where I can play all the games I want and get so much more interaction and training opportunities. After all, it isn't like I am playing for a pot of gold in prizes in ICCF.

In fairness, ICCF has been announcing a major revamp in its site. I could only hope for the best for them. It's not my intention to defame the site by airing all the negatives I saw. I am just trying to relate my experience and hopefully those that can do something about this may consider some of the suggestions that I made, couched as they may in the negative. I also welcome other's differing comments if any. Don't hesitate to leave a note.

I will let you know when the rest of my ICCF games conclude, but I guess I won't be reporting it as elaborately as this.

No comments: