Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Offline

First, I left my key to the office at my desk, along with my car key, when I went to a meeting. Then, the meeting went for hours that the rest of the people in the office already left for home, since it's a weekend. Thankfully, they decided to clear my table and lock my laptop up - such nice folks. So, when I got back, the door is locked and I can't get in. Luckily, I have a spare car key in my pocket, otherwise I would be knocking on doors of officemates who lived nearby to get to the office or wait for hours while somebody from home gets to me with a duplicate. Then on Sunday, work for Monday was canceled as heavy downpour during the weekend resulted in floods. The floods kept me from work up to Tuesday. And now, two days later (it's Thursday now) I am back at work typing this after having to catch up yesterday on all my backlogs. I didn't get to finish articles I have in mind for my blogs, I didn't get to play any online chess games, and anything resembling the Internet. I was offline.

I still smile when I remember that the first thing that went through my head when I can't get to the office is "how am I going to play cc this weekend?", and "how am i going to get my article online?". Just shows the commitment (and addiction) I have for the game and I guess for the Internet. But I did survived and came out unscathed at the other end (read: now). On hindsight, I benefited from that offline moment. My head got cleared of cobwebs (digital ones, maybe). I got to dig down a bit more on a tangible chessbook and try it out with a real board, and enjoyed a game of chess with my better half who is less than a novice (she's not reading this). My oh my, there is a world out there!

Anyway, enough excuses for not being able to come up with an article for this week. See you again next week.

No comments: