Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Month That Was

It has been a month or so since I've gotten back into the habit. I am almost finished with the mini-tournament I joined in Schemingmind (the remaining ones are pretty much decided). If ratings are any indication, my efforts in improvement has paid off. I have made considerable increase in my ratings after the month-end calculation, which unlike this month, did not include any defaults on time. I think my attention to opening theory has paid off well, and it's such a boost in confidence. True, I have been losing more games than winning, but if your games are mostly with higher-rated players, winning just a few of them is enough to boost your rating. Which I think I mentioned here. Not that I won't play with lower-rated players, since if everybody does that then no one will play anyone anymore. But I think a good sprinkling of games with higher-rated players is a good way to develop discipline in the game. They have gotten to where they are by developing such discipline themselves, and it won't be a bad idea emulating them in this respect. But with that aside, chess is fun, and should stay a fun thing to do, with friends near and far.
Happy gaming everyone!

No comments: