Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Chess Variants: Chess 960

I first came across Chess 960 in Schemingmind. What attracted me to it is the way it was being promoted as an approach to chess that does not require a deep knowledge of opening theory. The timing couldn't have been more perfect, as I just emerged from being floored in several of my games in standard chess (I think I researched variants precisely because I got so depressed about standard chess).

The variant, which is also called Fischer Random Chess for the man who invented or popularized it, is played with the usual chess board, pieces, and rules. However, the pieces are randomly placed at the start of the game using a variety of methods (for online games, an algorithm usually picks one of the possible initial positions). The number of combinations that can be done total 960, which include the standard chess position (I guess it doesn't sound very nice to call it chess959, although I myself would have preferred it). The castling rules remain the same despite the varying positions of the rooks and King, so that a castling will land the said pieces in their supposed places in standard chess.

The variant was a surprising respite from the "rigors" of standard chess. And quite a challenge in its own way I have to say. Since the board at the onset is set up randomly, you would have to spend quite some time getting used to the position before making your first move. And with 959 combinations, you must really be something to even try coming up with an opening theory for a fraction of those combinations.

Several games later, some things that weren't that obvious start to be noticed. For one, the idea that the game is a respite for novices since they won't have to worry about opening theory is a bit slim. Opening theory is actually borne of sound piece development. It is unfortunate that in some situations it has degenerated into a test of rote memorization (which in my opinion gave chess the impression of being a dry game for many). However, full appreciation of the game requires an understanding of sound principles of the game, including opening theory. I would venture to guess that most good players in chess960 are actually good in standard chess themselves, since once you get accustomed to the board position, the rest is a matter of how well you can play chess.

I also kind of missed the symmetry and formation of standard chess. It is really a beautifully constructed game, and chess960 somewhat marred it in a way. If you look at chess as a way a kingdom is run, then chess960 definitely won't give you the satisfaction of playing like the king that you should be.

Nevertheless, chess960 is a wonderful game and a variant that will continue to stand on its own and flourish. There are actually chess clubs dedicated to the game, and I hope to feature some of them here in this blog (if you are running one already or a member of such a club, do let me know). The variant has also become a springboard for other variants that incorporate random initial piece placement.

Sample game here in Schemingmind. This is a game where I introduced my friend to the variant, so even though I was winning, I offered a draw near the end of the game as a gesture of sportsmanship. I am trying to paste an active board, but the game publisher I am using sets the initial position to standard chess, no matter what. Anyway, it would be nice for you to also visit Schemingmind, and maybe even join its friendly community. Just follow the link to the game and sign in initially as guest (instructions on front page). That will take you directly to the game once you signed in. Then get yourself registered for real as well and start playing.

Get that King out of harm's way! Have a good day!

Learn more about Variants! Click HERE!

2 comments:

Be0wulF said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Be0wulF said...

What I like in c960 is that you do not need to be expert in chess openings. Although I have my own favorite chess openings, It's always been fun playing c960. You do not necessary need to have your own chess preparation but rather have a good tactical or positional thinking power. Being knowlegdelable in the opening theory is not a must, however you should have a very good skills in the two phases of the game and these are the middle- and end game. If you think you possessed these skills then c960 suits for you. Like Anatoly Karpov for example. He does not have much knowlegde in opening theory but he is very good in the middle- and end game. He should dominate the c960 if he were playing in SM! In playing c960 with your opponent, you should know if he is also good in playing standard chess. For if he wins he most likely is the strongest player in both category!